Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soccer Day!!!

I don't even know where to begin. This day has become more eventful with each minute. It was a SLOW start this morning. I sort of anticipated it. I wasn't feeling great when I went to bed. When you have RA, a good night's sleep is sort of a joke to begin with, and you typically feel worse when you get up than you do when you go to bed. Today was no different. I was up most of the night and let Jeff know sometime in the wee hours, church wasn't happening for me today. Today was the "breather" week between sermon series' and it was baptism week. Since the kids slept till after 10, none of us made it. Dalton survived his slumber party Friday night and had some sleep to catch up on (I guess). I was just proud he made it all night!! (so was he!)

I forced myself out of the house for Savannah's soccer practice at 2 (cold is NOT my friend). It was her first practice with the U12 girls of the Olive Branch branch of the Tennessee RUSH. Did you get all that? I'm not sure I get it, but it is what it is. Apparently, Mississippi doesn't have a RUSH charter yet.....Don't get me to lying! Here is what I know so far, Tennessee RUSH. I sure hope we made the right decision. I just dug deep and let my heart make the decision, because my brain couldn't. I used my emotions to judge people that I had known for a total of two hours to decide whether or not to trust them with my pressure, huh? This club told us things that I would have had trouble telling parents I just met who were willing write me a rather large check to let their daughter wear a uniform. They focused on her weaknesses! While her weaknesses are mostly due to her age (she just turned 10 in mid September), they are still weaknesses that need to be focused on FOR HER. I appreciated that. SO, she will practice with the team, and play this Spring season as an alternate (that's the glorified "title" for bench warmer) and she will play "rec" ball in Southaven. She will get to play during club scrimmage games, but unless a girl goes down, she is not likely to see "competitive" play. She will have to put her new found playing skills to work in Southaven...another NEW thing for us. She's played Olive Branch since she was 4, never Southaven.

OK, on to the point, I was SOOOO proud of her today, I just about broke down and cried (umm, that doesn't work out well at the beginning of a steroid cycle...that comes later when you've reached your max). She completely understands the situation that I just spelled out for you. We explained it all in detail to her. I guess the part I left out, is that in order to take this "alternate" position, she gave up a starting position with the "other" club. Today was her first practice with the team she is looking forward to sitting the bench for. Have I mentioned she didn't know ANYONE? She met them all Friday night, for the first time, at try-outs. (She knew players and had played with girls on the "other" team.) Practice lasted two hours and twenty minutes. She had some good moments and some not so good moments. She ran and ran and ran and gagged and ran some more. She tried to cry once at the very end, but they didn't give her quite enough time to get it worked up and then she had to go lay in the mud.

(I don't know what's up with Blogspot tonight, but we aren't getting along.) That top picture is her laying in the mud at the very end. That was a very interesting drill. They made a human chain and sort of played leap frog...literally in the mud. The second picture was actually taken first, that was the lap before she started gagging. One boy threw up, at least that was all WE saw, he was beside us. They were running laps staying tight together and every time the coach blew the whistle, the last person sprinted to the front. UMMM, a lap is around the field. Try that 4 times! The ball was supposed to be over your head, but he only enforced that seriously the first 2 laps. SO PROUD, and better yet, I think she was proud of herself. She had a smile all night and said, "You know, I have to do that again Wednesday." I'm pretty sure I would have walked home (we told her NO when she asked if we could just leave) and caught the first flight to Mexico. PROUD PROUD.
That picture at the top of the post....those are the wild turkeys we saw in the field on the way home. I didn't have my zoom lens (sorry Jeff, I was unprepared today) so they are the tiny black specks out there. Again, I've never had this much picture trouble....sorry.
Getting the ole hip checkup tomorrow. It's much better!! The hands are in permanent peace signs, but the hip is good. Today, I read stress in the form of surgery can cause a flare......that sounded all to familiar so I turned the computer off real fast. (It didn't go away, though.) I found it again tonight. Don't you wish you were still 2 sometimes, so you could close your eyes and the "bad guy" would just go away? I'm gonna go ahead and call the bow tie tomorrow. I haven't been able to close my hands for two days now. I started Prednisone. That's why I'm up at 11:30!! It doesn't seem right...steroids cause the issues with the hip...but they are necessary when everything else flares up. They suppress your immune system which makes you a walking target! and lets don't even mention the chemo and biologics you pump into your system each week that cause cancer and shorten your life span. HA? and I have people that care about me that don't understand my sense of humor? Let me just say, I'm happy to have humor TODAY. I happy to have today. I'm trying really hard to understand that I am no longer capable of doing everything I used to do. Jeff told me today he noticed that the "fairy" tended to stay away when I wasn't feeling so great. I'm sure my kids are thrilled that I haven't walked down to their end of the house all weekend. I can guarantee their rooms are disastrous! All I did tonight was ask them both to show me anything clean they had to wear to school tomorrow. One day at a time, right? Yep, I was just starting to try to plan my week out when the whole bed, with all four of us on it, went crashing to the floor. It looked like something from a cartoon, I'm sure. You can't beat watching the end of the Superbowl with your bed taken apart and a drill in your hand.
It's a busy week...and an even busier weekend. I've GOT to get to feeling better. Working on it!

1 comment:

Lesli said...

Hi there, I found your blog through Maria over at "Two Hearts Made Four". I understand what you are going through, my daughter who is three was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 18 months. She is currently on weekly injections of Methotrexate and Enbrel so I understand when you say that you are a walking target. I am scared to take her anywhere during the winter season in fear of her becoming sick. I am hoping to start her in soccer this spring when the weather gets a little warmer. She has been in medical remission since she started the Enbrel six months ago we are very grateful for that... My mom was just diagnosed with RA last month and she is suffering terribly right now. They have not started her on any meds because they wanted her to get some other "tests" done first. She had spots to come back on her lung and liver scans so they are trying to figure that out first... anyway.. I will keep you in my prayers.. I hope you start to feel better soon! Oh and your daughter sounds like a trooper, I am sure you are very proud of her!

Sorry for the long message, If you don't mind, I would like to become a follower!!